Monday, June 13, 2005

NRW trip

Well, NRW stands for Northern Rhineland Westphalia. This is the name of the state where Aachen is located, alongthwith other major cities like Köln, Bonn, Dusseldorf, etc. This weekend(11th-12th June) we decided to make ourselves aquainted with this state of Germany only. I heard that this is the most dense state in whle Germany. However, to me it appeared, much less populated. The country hosts about one-tenth porpulation, and approximately one-eighth land-area, as that of India. Naturally, my hesitation to call it 'most dense' is quite natural.
As per plan, we went to Köln on Saturday. The city was overcast with clouds. We reached the city at around 11 am. As we came out of the hauptbahnhauf, we met the gigantic dom. This dom is in fact the iconic representative of Köln. In 1945, after the lethal air-raids, around 80% of the buildings in this old city were destroyed. All the bridges over the Rhine were torn apart. But interesting to note that, this imposing dom structure, had hardly experienced any scratches on its wall. Leaving history apart, we decided to have our lunch at KFC(Kentucky Fried Chicken). I wonder whether God has given some special stomach to the german ppl! They served us 3 jumbo pieces of fried chicken alongwith salad for 5,99 €. KKda failed to consume the third one.


Sorry, the account of Köln tour remained incomplete for so many days. And as because I was burdenned under my work, I somehow failed to complete and publish it. Well, to summarize the above blog I should say, we went for the Chocolate-museum followed by Rhine boat-tour . That was really awesome for me. The next day, that is Sunday we went to Bonn and Dusseldorf. We ate Hagen-Dasz ice-cream which is quite famous all over Germany. On our return, a mishap took place. Unfortunately, we boarded the wrong bus, and went to Eupen, Belgium about 25-30 kms away from Aachen at about midnight. Well, due to the helpful bus-driver, we somehow managed to return to Aachen safely at the deadly midnight hour.

I hope to describe my last tour-Paris in the next blog and also conclde my stay in Germany. Till then bbye.

No comments: